Alternator

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Golliwog

Alternator

Post by Golliwog »

Ok, I just got my new amp and subs that I'm putting in.<P>My question is this, this amp is going to place a 40amp draw on the alternator. Can the stock alternator handle that or am I going to need to go find something a little more hardcore?<P>Also, if I run it like this just for testing purposes and it can't handle that extra load, what is going to happen to the car?
-Golli
Psyrg

Re: Alternator

Post by Psyrg »

I'm not sure of the stock rating of the MX-3's altenator, but if youy do try and draw too much the altenators output voltage should roughly drop in proportion with the current draw.<P>At the point where the altenators voltage is less than the batteries, it will hold there but not pass any more current. Any extra current will be drwan form the battery, and you may flatten it if you arn't carefull.<P>Anyway, it would be worthwhile investigating an altenator with a bit more capability if you want a professional audio setup. Remember to tell us how it goes.
Golliwog

Re: Alternator

Post by Golliwog »

Well it's all installed. Still not sure what the stock alternator's rating is. It seems to be handling it np so far.<P>I think in the next couple days I'm going to completely drain the battery (to see how long it will power the stereo without being charged) and then see if it will charge back up with the car running. That should tell me whether the alternator can handle it or not. I think?
-Golli

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”