Stalling at 55+ mph?????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MattPPK007

Stalling at 55+ mph?????

Post by MattPPK007 »

I have a 93 GS with an automatic and recently i was going about 55 mph with the pedal almost to the floor and when the car shifted into 4th gear it stalled... I pulled over and the car wouldnt start for about a minute.. then it started up and ran fine all night.. the next day i had the mechanics where i work look at the car and we discovered that my tranmission was all messed up so i had a new tranny put in at a mazda dealership and i figured that the stalling was related to the tranny but since ive had the new tranny the car is still doing the same stalling out business.... I would greatly appreciated if someone could give me a clue as to what might be wrong with my car. Also the stalling does not feel like it is injector related.. it feels as if someone just turned the car off.. the rpm's just drop instantly.
93 GS Blaze Red
Travis83

Re: Stalling at 55+ mph?????

Post by Travis83 »

Distributor maybe...dont really know man. sorry
****F.U.B.A.R. SINCE 03/30/02****<P>Blaze Red w/white racing stripes<BR>FX Designs Body Kit<BR>52" Aerospeed Aluminum Spoiler<BR>18X7.5 Konig Imagine Wheels<BR>Red underbody kit<BR>Blacklights inside
Potatoes

Post by Potatoes »

Just outta curiousity... how much did it cost you to put in a new tranny?
MattPPK007

Post by MattPPK007 »

The new transmission came out to about 2250 but i only paid 100 bucks for a deductable on my warrantee cause ive only had the car about a month and it was from a dealership.
93 GS Blaze Red
mazdakjs

Post by mazdakjs »

Now first thing is first I am far from a mechanic. and you'll probably get a reply saying that I am dumb. but just to see what everyone else says, could it be flooding? maybe the comp. or easier yet. the injectors. once you get up to speed the injectors could flood. although it is hard to flood a fuel injection motor. since it didnt start for a few minutes thats all I can see. when it does it again check the plugs to see if they are wet. if they are tell a trusted mech. hope I help. <BR>Kyle, Northern crappy Ontario
Globotang

Post by Globotang »

Hey! I have the same problem!<P>My car is a '92 GS, manual trans. <BR>My engine has the same problem. I brought it<BR>to my mechanic and he couldn't find what was wrong with it...He said it may be the distributor, and to bring the car back when it fails to start for good...<BR> :( Can you believe this!<P>I'm gonna bring the car to my local Mazda<BR>dealer tomorrow...keep you posted.
MattPPK007

Post by MattPPK007 »

Hey globotang, yesterday my car finally failed to start for good! .. i was driving along going about 55-60 and it stalled as usual and i pulled over to start it up again which only takes a few seconds usually and it wouldnt start so i had to get it towed to my house.. right now its sitting in the driveway dead... im calling the mazda dealership tomorrow morning as well... hit me back if you find out whats wrong with yours. thanks
93 GS Blaze Red
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

on the 1.8 Liter V6 models the EGR piping an the EGR valve tend to get blocked with carbon. If it gets to blocked, then at cruise i would feel a hesitation and a drop in acceleration. Does the check engine light come on after cruising at highway speeds?
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
Globotang

Post by Globotang »

Yesterday morning they replaced the distributor ($570 CAN) and so far it's running smootly.<BR>No check engine light ever came on while the <BR>engine was running, cashmoneyspeed.<P> Hope this helps.
MattPPK007

Post by MattPPK007 »

yeah my local mazda dealership replaced my distributor too and everything is cool now.. it was 400 US including labor.. thanks for your replys everyone.. later
93 GS Blaze Red
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

wish i would have read this earlier.. this is a typical problem with the mazda K series V6... the distributor, being bolted directly to the head, doesnt dissipate heat well, and in turn breaks down a part on the ignitor in the distributor.. and signs that its failing is high-rpm shut-off.. it'll do it a handful of times before giving out fully.. ive had this happen to myself and a few friends several times already..
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
Travis83

Post by Travis83 »

Ha! What do ya know? I was right. Damn good guess. :D
****F.U.B.A.R. SINCE 03/30/02****<P>Blaze Red w/white racing stripes<BR>FX Designs Body Kit<BR>52" Aerospeed Aluminum Spoiler<BR>18X7.5 Konig Imagine Wheels<BR>Red underbody kit<BR>Blacklights inside
onyx_ZX3

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

i have tried 2 differant onesfrom napa and my hesitation doesnt go away...i think it maybe somthing esle though, with this final disty it just cuts back doesnt shut off...especially if i gun in 1st gear then shift to second it cuts back alittle then taskes off...could it be the tps? if i had a leak in my intake piping? anybody?
92 GS Black (retired to wife control, but in my care)<BR>01 Focus Zx3 Black<BR>I'm Still Stationed In AR...Help???

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”