clutch disk?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JJ

clutch disk?

Post by JJ »

wut are the parts of the clutch and wut do each of them do??<BR>does anyone kno!?!<BR>HoLLa!<BR>JJ
white fish

Re: clutch disk?

Post by white fish »

pressure plate<BR>clutch disc<BR>piolt bearing<BR>through bearing
jasonbierschwale

Re: clutch disk?

Post by jasonbierschwale »

I just replaced my clutch this past weekend. If you don't know enough about clutches to know the basic components, I wouldn't attempt a replacement on your own. Not trying to be an a--, but I've done tons of RWD clutch replacements... this was my first FWD. What a b----! I did it in a weekend without the tools I needed, and with only three scissor jacks (not recommended at all). Anyway, the parts and functions are listed below - <P>Flywheel - mounted on the crankshaft. Pressure plate bolts to it. <P>Pressure plate - Round, dish shaped plate. Has what looks like the outer part of a brake rotor on the inside (facing flywheel) and springs that look like a bunch of fingers extenging to wards the open center. Provides the tension to hold the clutch plate against the flywheel/pressure plate.<P>Clutch plate - A disk with a splined hole in the center. Has what looks like really solid, really thin brake material on both sides. Provides the friction that joins the engine to the tranny input shaft.<P>Throwout bearing - Rides on the clutch fork, which is attached to the clutch slave cylinder. When you mash the clutch pedal, the clutch fork pushes this bearing into the pressure plate springs, releasing the tension on the clutch plate.<P>Pilot bushing - a brass bushing in the center of the flywheel. The tranny input shaft fits into this bushing for support.<P>Hope I shed some light on the subject... let me know if you have questions!<P> :D
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”