12inch VS 10inch

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
nicolasbeique

12inch VS 10inch

Post by nicolasbeique »

Its time for me to choose a sub for my car (finally)! I have an Alpine V12 MRV-100M powering it which is all that I need. I am designing my audio system based on the idea that I prefer quality and not heavy "window-breaking" bass. I am looking for a base that will go with the music, not take over it, but that is able to kick a-- if I really want it to.<P>Here is my question: 12inch or 10inch? I heard that I should get a 12 even though it sounds like it should be the other way around because the sub will produce lower frequencies instead of base-beats, which will help the "quality theme" ;) in the end.<P>??? I really don't know enough to know if its true or not and what I should get so any advice would help.<P>Thanks,<P>Nic :cool:
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>
DAC 752

Re: 12inch VS 10inch

Post by DAC 752 »

If you were to put in a 12 with a sealed box made to the proper size it would give you a punchy bass probably better than a 10. All i used to have was 10's but ive gone to 12's now all you need to do is just make a sealed box and it will sound really good and will hit hard when you want it to.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nic Beique:<BR><STRONG>Its time for me to choose a sub for my car (finally)! I have an Alpine V12 MRV-100M powering it which is all that I need. I am designing my audio system based on the idea that I prefer quality and not heavy "window-breaking" bass. I am looking for a base that will go with the music, not take over it, but that is able to kick a-- if I really want it to.<P>Here is my question: 12inch or 10inch? I heard that I should get a 12 even though it sounds like it should be the other way around because the sub will produce lower frequencies instead of base-beats, which will help the "quality theme" ;) in the end.<P>??? I really don't know enough to know if its true or not and what I should get so any advice would help.<P>Thanks,<P>Nic :cool:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'd go with the 12". It will give you a lower bass response, and will give you the SPL you want when that pickup next to you thinks his system is hot. Also, if you use a dual reflex bandpass enclosure. Lots of peeps will tell you to go with a sealed box for optimum sound quality, but under normal listening volumes you won't be able to tell the difference between sealed and ported. The band pass will give you the perfect balance of SQ and SPL. The folded horn (slot ported) box will give you more SPL, but will seriously skimp on quality. The sealed box will give you nice quality, but won't be half as loud. The bandpass will give you the punchy bass you like, and will blow your hatch off at high SPL Image . Hope it helps.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

get a single 12, and port it low -- you will get the bass response you need out of it that way
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
justin h

Post by justin h »

A 10" is a lot more crisp. Get a 10 and a 12. 12 for the really lows, and the 10 so it sounds tighter.

Post by Guest »

Can u say 8inch? cause thats all i got with a Punch 150a1 powering it! its a JL 8w6 in a JL spec ported box. its LOUD so loud it hurts yours ears! NO JOKE and i can still fit my bike in the back
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

If you want bandwidth i.e. flat response accros the bigest range, then get the speaker that has the lowest FS (the lower cut off frequency) for the speaker, that's not poorly made. This probably means a 12" or 15". Using a ported box can give you better response at frequencies lower than FS, but will introduce some inaccuracies. MOST people can't really hear these, but you should judge each enclusure for itself. I'd only use a Bandpass if you want loud base, and aren't to concerned with quality. <P>Personally I'd use a 12" in a sealed box with isothermal insulation, or a profesionally made Infinite Baffle for the best SQ. Loudness is more a factor of speaker manufacture than of size. Compare stats on the speakers you're considering, and that should help you chose.<P>HTH<BR>tk1138
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tk1138:<BR><STRONG>If you want bandwidth i.e. flat response accros the bigest range, then get the speaker that has the lowest FS (the lower cut off frequency) for the speaker, that's not poorly made. This probably means a 12" or 15". Using a ported box can give you better response at frequencies lower than FS, but will introduce some inaccuracies. MOST people can't really hear these, but you should judge each enclusure for itself. I'd only use a Bandpass if you want loud base, and aren't to concerned with quality. <P>Personally I'd use a 12" in a sealed box with isothermal insulation, or a profesionally made Infinite Baffle for the best SQ. Loudness is more a factor of speaker manufacture than of size. Compare stats on the speakers you're considering, and that should help you chose.<P>HTH<BR>tk1138</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree to a point, but the infinate baffle design, professional or not, will introduce imperfections. That is why the bandpass is such a good design. It gives the ported and sealed in one (that's why they designed it) for the best of both worlds, the bandpass is the way to go. For SQ sealed, for SPL infinate baffle (ported).
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
psurollsovau

Post by psurollsovau »

a sealed box hits very well. i have two crossfire dvc 12's runin on a mtx rt2200x which gives me 425peak 200rms to each sub at 4ohm. i had it tested last summer and it hits 145.1 and the notes dont sound sloppy at all. my s--- is clear as a crystal, my friends actually b---- about how clear it is. although on the other hand you can get the same performance out of one 10. my buddy had one 10" soloberic and it was crazy. its all about box size and how everything matches up and is sealed. the bonus ith doin somthin like 1-10" sub is think about how much two decent twelves and the box to go with them weigh. if your anything like the rest of us we are tryn to go faster not slow down. hell tell ya what if you live in the states and want both these twelves id sell them just to get one 10. oh by the way if your thinkn why you would do this with having more than enough power, that solo will suck 1000watts and ask for more.just my $.02 [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
too much s--- to list!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”