Need For Speed Underground!!

Off-Topic Discussions
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Need For Speed Underground!!

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Does anyone on here play that game on ps2? If so what is the highest speed you have reached and with what car?

Car: Mazda RX-7
Speed: 241.84 mph
Style: Drag

My friend that i was playing with got this.

Car: Mitsubishi Eclipse
Speed: 242.89
Style: Drag

<small>[ November 09, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Ricksmx3 ]</small>
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Re: Need For Speed Underground!!

Post by Ricksmx3 »

O come on someone on here has to play the game.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Dude! Nfs:Underground is so yesterday! Underground 2 is comming out on the 15th, and my pre-order should arrive teh 16th, but i got my "downloaded" copy today!!! Actually i;m in the midst of installing it, otherwise i wouldnt be on here :D
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

I didnt ask if it was yesterday and really dont care if it is 10 years ago. All i asked is if anyone plays it and what their scores were and not a smart a$$ answer. Dam. Oh and as far as number 2 goes i will be playing that one as soon as it comes out.

<small>[ November 11, 2004, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Ricksmx3 ]</small>
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

lol ya its old but i still play it too, still waiting for 2.
my last time playing drag i had a top speed of 219.95 mph with a skyline.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Its not THAT old :p
I don't know times really, I love the twisties.
However, I always use the skyline for drags.
DJ

Post by DJ »

My review of the game
--HUGE RANT WARNING-- HEHEHEH
I played the original Underground and got bored of it quickly. Also got really pissed off at it because in the races when you get really far ahead of the computer they automatically warp them to right behind you.

So I tried Underground 2 this week. Thinking they would of spent sometime making the AI better so they can actually race you without having to cheat. The free-roaming mode also sounded neat. Sounded like a little GTA style added in (without the killing). I figured you would be driving down the the street and see a bunch of cars gathered in a parking lot or something then flash your lights to race them or enter a event.

I was wrong on both of those.
The AI is still dumb and will spin each others cars out at the beginning so you get like 30 sec ahead of them then they warp to right behind you.

The free-roaming mode is pathetic. There is different colored dots on the map you have to drive to, to get to your events. They are at random locations so you have to piss around driving everywhere, which I think they mainly did this so you see there Burger King advertisements. The events are represented in the free-roaming world by a floating pink icon that is in random spots far away from each other. Then you press start to enter the event.
No cars waiting to race you or anything, just a big huge floating icon at random places around the tiny city in the middle of the road. It's just a really fancy menu replacement.
They should also lower the price on this game because of all the advertisements in game, its really really sad.
The cutscenes are pathetic also, it feels like some 40 year old scripted it by typing "words these dang kids say nowadays" in google then randomly inserted them in the game.

I mean it's so realistic!! I always drive down the road in real life seeing floating icons in the air wishing I could join that drifting competition.

Need for speed 5 was the last great NFS game.

Underground2 is boring, go play Colin Mcrae Rally 05 with a steering wheel, most intense racing game ever.

<small>[ November 14, 2004, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: DJ ]</small>
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
Dude! i got my "downloaded" copy today!!! Actually i;m in the midst of installing it, otherwise i wouldnt be on here :D
Where did you download it ? any links ??
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yeah i wouldn't mind downloading it. but i sure as hell sin't buying it.

the first NFSU was a good 3 days worth of awesomeness. but after I beat it (on hard btw, which was still easy) I sold it on ebay while it was still worth about 45 dollars shipped :)
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

*goes back to GT3* waiting on 4 :D
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

the demo for underground 2 has been on the official site for a little while now, but trust me, dont waste your time downloading it. the graphics in the demo look like nintendo 64 worthy, and you cant really do anything.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by DJ:
The AI is still dumb and will spin each others cars out at the beginning so you get like 30 sec ahead of them then they warp to right behind you.
Ya, the "rubber-band" AI is still there, but not nearly as bad as the first...that damn purple Rx-7 in the first one...so many headaches from him. AI is actually pretty smart and aggressive, but i noticed that they will, rare and out of the blue, pull an instant 90 degreee turn and drive into a wall, i've seen it happen once to 2 cars in front of me, one was behind the other by a few car lengths and it's like they both hit the same part of the track, pulled a 90* turn an hit the wall during a URL race. I've seen traffic do it a few times as well. This is rare, happening once every about 2 dozen races or so.
Originally posted by DJ:
The free-roaming mode is pathetic. There is different colored dots on the map you have to drive to, to get to your events. They are at random locations so you have to piss around driving everywhere, [...] The events are represented in the free-roaming world by a floating pink icon that is in random spots far away from each other. Then you press start to enter the event. No cars waiting to race you or anything, just a big huge floating icon at random places around the tiny city in the middle of the road. It's just a really fancy menu replacement.
Actually it's a good idea, kind of extends the gameplay, but you also unlock upgrades when you find more of the shops since they are not marked on the map until you visit one, and it allows you to learn the city, cause you'll be racing in it. But if you don't like the driving system, you can hit escape, go to your garage, to go your world map and select all your races that way. The only races that will not allow you to go back directly to the world map after the race is drags however.
Originally posted by DJ:
I figured you would be driving down the the street and see a bunch of cars gathered in a parking lot or something then flash your lights to race them or enter a event.
You can street race, there are cars that randomly drive the streets, they are marked on your map as orange triangles, all you need to do is drive up behind them, and when they SMS you, just hit enter and you start a (i don't remember the exact name) outrun mode, where leader chooses the route and must outrun their opponent by 1000ft, very fun but gets hard. A co-worker said he spend almost 20 minutes trying to outrun one.

Originally posted by DJ:
Need for speed 5 was the last great NFS game.

Underground2 is boring, go play Colin Mcrae Rally 05 with a steering wheel, most intense racing game ever.
Colin McRae and Gran Tourismo are simulations, NFS moved away from sim since about Nfs3 (with the exception of Porsche Unleased), so don't expect it as such. It's an arcade type racer thats extremely fun to play. I burned a copy for all the guys at work (5) except for one who doesn't game (i work at a computer store) and everyone is loving the game, we're all not too thrilled of the over-amout of pimpage required, but we LAN-ed NFsU2 last week and we gave ourselves about 5 min of pimp time between tracks to see how bad we could get the cars....it was hilarious!

Originally posted by fry_81:
the demo for underground 2 has been on the official site for a little while now, but trust me, dont waste your time downloading it. the graphics in the demo look like nintendo 64 worthy, and you cant really do anything.
BTW, I'm really disapointed with the comic-like cutscenes, very cheep, but the game itself look amazing...the weird part is the glossy roads, but other that that, the detail is beautiful, except for the traffic cars, those are disapointingly low detail. Now the cars aren't as high detail as GT3 or CM, but you have to look at it this way, the game has to render the whole city, in each race, it's not just an isolated track with a fancy background, along with the detail on the car. It's significantly better than GTA3/VC/SA. At times, it can make my Athlon 64 3200+ with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9700Pro shug at Full detail and AA+AF @ 1024x768 (i think i need a Format/Re-Install, computer is running kinda funny), so i understand where they are comming from.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Off-Topic”