Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 16 2019, 6:24 PM

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 FAQ: How to install in-line PCV filter 

Post FAQ: How to install in-line PCV filter
All k-series engines are flawed with this problem. Oil travels from the PCV Valve and into the Intake Manifold. NO OIL should get into the Intake Manifold. It's that simple! The following write up will explain how to install an in-line filter between the PCV Valve and the Intake Manifold. My friend did this 3 weeks ago on his 93' Ford Probe GT and let me tell you, this thing works! For the record i have a 1992 Mazda Mx-3 GS w/ 233,000km's on it...

ADVANTAGES
- NO oil will get from the PCV valve into the Intake Manifold, valve tops and cylinders.
- Maintaining the correct octane rating of your fuel without being degraded by engine oil (which doesn’t burn cleanly)
- Reduction of buring oil. Though the amount of oil that will go though the Intake Manifold (without the G2 Filter) and burn off is VERY SMALL.

DISADVANTAGES
- The ONLY disadvantage of this mod is if you don't replace the filter when it starts to become dirty. For good measure replace this $3.27cdn filter EACH MONTH.

Tools/Parts Needed

FRAM G2 Fuel Filter (Wal-mart sells these for $3.27cdn)

14" 5/16 Fuel/PCV hose (Princess Auto $2.00cdn)
Utility Knife
Pliers

How-to...

1. Remove the hose that goes from the PCV Vale to the Intake Manifold.

2. Cut the new 14" fuel hose in half using a knife.

3. Hook the two hoses with the filter in the middle as seen in the photo below. Make sure you put a clamp on the end of the hose that plugs into the Intake Manifold. If you want you can put a clamp on each end of the filter and the pcv for good measure...it's not necessary though.

4. That's it your done. Again, Replace this filter once it becomes evident that it's becoming dirty. I plan on replaceing mine each month!

After just 5km's of driving, i already had 2 or 3 eye drops worth of oil in the filter. So you can imagine how much oil there will be just after say 1,000km's. I'll post another picture when i put 500 more km's on the car.

Last edited by quicksliver on May 04 2005, 1:10 PM, edited 5 times in total.

May 04 2005, 12:45 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Moderator

QS - Outstanding write-up for DIY'rs. This could also be taken to the next level by having the line from the VC go to an oil catch can (currently very cheap on ebay and I believe "Grants" has a big write-up on this) where it can collect in the bottom and drained whenever. The return line from the catch can will go the IM where you can integrate that fuel filter. The frequency for changing that fuel filter may now be once every year or 2 and perhaps pay for the catch can in that time. I used a similar set-up on race bikes. Track rules for catching engine oil vapours that can be excessive at times and lay a film on the track.

May 04 2005, 12:58 PM
Profile YIM

Yah i guess, if you really wanted to go crazy lol. The oil catch can would catch 99.9% of the oil, and then the filter between the oil catch can adn the Intake Manifold would catch most the vapours...cause the oil catch can will still let the oil vapours pass through.

May 04 2005, 1:07 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator

I have done the same thing, but Im using a moisture filter for an air compressor. I just unscrew the bottom and pour the excess oil out.

Looks similar to ths..

Moved to FAQ.

May 04 2005, 1:41 PM
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]