Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 16 2019, 12:36 AM

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 [GI] Throw reducing OEM shifter knobs (1¼") 
Supporting Member

Post [GI] Throw reducing OEM shifter knobs (1¼")
Reduce your shift throw by 1¼" with the OEM knob!
I have drilled out a couple of OEM knobs, and threaded them down an extra inch and a quarter, so when you screw them on, your shift throw is reduced that much. I drilled out the bottom part of the shifter knob, to be wide enough to fit around the thicker part of the shaft. It's noticeable on the OEM shifter, and if you have a short shifter, you'll barely have to push it at all.

Here's how it would work: Either you send me your knob, and I'll modify it (preferred), or I'll send you one, and you send me yours for a core exchange.
I don't know what to charge for this. I guess $12 for the service, so you'd pay the shipping + $12 for the first option.
If you do the second option, I'd need $30, $16 of it returned when I get your shifter (in good condition). That way, I get $2 extra for the inconvenience.

See the post below for pictures :)

'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Last edited by fowljesse on February 05 2009, 5:50 PM, edited 2 times in total.

January 25 2009, 6:59 PM
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Post Re: [GI] Throw reducing OEM shifter knobs
so can you still use the boot after you are done or do you completely remove the little white part that the boot connects to?

do you have a side by side pic of a normal knob and the modified one so we can see the difference?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Mooneggs

January 26 2009, 3:47 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

I only painted the white part, partially because it smooths the transition from the bottom of the black part to the shaft, and because it doesn't interfere. When I drilled them out, I stopped just as it was getting into the black part, so there's only about 2mm of plastic on top of the shaft. The white part meets the wider part of the shaft, concealing the skinny part, making it look tougher.
The knob looks exactly the same (unless I paint it), since I didn't do anything to the outside (except paint it :wink: ).

'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

January 27 2009, 2:37 AM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

UPDATE:
I played with my knob, and found the limit of the shaft. I reduced the throw by just over 1¼".
Here are the before, and after:

And just for reference, here's my $170 short shifter:

As you can see, my knob mod will shorten your shifter just as much.
Of course, most of you know that's not all there is to a true short shifter, but this gets you pretty close, cheap.

February 04 2009, 8:39 PM
Profile WWW

Post Re: [GI] Throw reducing OEM shifter knobs (1¼")
how's mine commin along?

February 04 2009, 11:19 PM

Question:

I'm no expert about shifters, but isn't the point to shorten the portion below the fulcrum? Or is it the top half you want shortened? Either way, it would make it harder to shift.

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

February 05 2009, 2:26 AM
Supporting Member

Yes. With short shifters, the fulcrum is moved toeward the center of the shifter, so there's less leverage on top, and more on bottom, so your throw is reduced alot, and although it's a little harder to push, it's not bad. I got used to mine in 2 days, and it got a little annoying switching back and forth to my stock car with the stock shifter. That's why I did this mod. Although the top of the throw is reduced about the same as a short shifter, the bottom is the same, so the shifter still travels a few millimeters more than a true short shifter.
It's alot easier swapping cars now, though. Another thing I like about it is; with the shift gate, the OEM shifter doesn't look so wimpy.

Evo-Spec, yours is the one in the picture. It's going back in the mail tomorrow :wink:

February 05 2009, 3:48 AM
Profile WWW

i love you in the most non gay way ever XD

February 05 2009, 4:51 AM
Supporting Member

Even after all my going on about playing with the shaft, knob, drilling, and such?
Of course i meant it all in the most masculine way possible :wink:
I totally lobbed one for Daninski, and he hasn't spiked it :shrug:

February 05 2009, 5:46 PM
Profile WWW

You should attach the drilled shifter knob to the short shifter >_>

February 05 2009, 5:48 PM
Forum Moderator

yes I would like to try this with my already 80% reduced throw pacesetter shifter... it's already a flick of the wrist now it will be a nudge with finger haha :lol:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Mooneggs

February 05 2009, 8:22 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

Yeah Moonman, bring it over. It'll be silly how little yours will move. I want to make a video of it. I have ideas of how to reduce the height another ¼".
I'm going to put the shortened one on the short shifter, but the fast car's down whilst I put in MegaSquirt :o and a couple things :D

February 05 2009, 8:36 PM
Profile WWW

Whack off the top of your shaft, reduce it in diameter, and then thread it, and then screw on your knob again.

Edit: I meant on top of all of this. Shortened short sport shifter with shortened stock knob.

Almost a tongue twister.

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Last edited by Ryan on February 11 2009, 12:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

February 10 2009, 11:27 PM
Supporting Member

Drilling out the knob is easier.

Here's the short knob on my short shifter:

February 10 2009, 11:36 PM
Profile WWW

the shift boot is so crammed in there XD

hope mine comes in the mail soon

February 11 2009, 3:44 AM
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next