Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23 2019, 2:14 AM

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 FAQ: KLZE Alternator wiring. 110A 
Site Administrator

Post FAQ: KLZE Alternator wiring. 110A
THis is the entire thread cleaned up in 1 single post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've done a search on this but comming back with just other people asking the question and people saying it can be done, but nobody saying how... I want to use the 110 amp alternator that came with the ze motor. The problem is, the ze's alt has a 3-pin connector where as the k8 alt has only a 2... what's the other wire for?

Am I able to take the alternator apart and put in the 2-prong connector somehow?

Are the alternators internally regulated or external? If it's internally regulated, would the 3rd wire be a reference ground for the regulator therefore just needing to be grounded to the chassis and the other 2 spliced into the k8 harness?? Just spitting out some thoughts and hope I get a reply from somebody who's already done this as to how they went about it!

So comparing both a little bit closer after I made this post.... The ZE's alternator with the 3 pin has a connector diagram on the sticker that says the connector is SGL. The K8's alternator with the 2 pin has a diagram that says the connector is SL. So I look at the middle wire on the 3 pin connector and it is a black wire. So to me, a black wire labelled "G" would definately stand for ground.... So in my thoughts, cut the connector off, wire the S and L wires up, and then ground the G wire..... can anybody confirm my thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw the diagram too and I made the same thing. I Think this is all corect and that's what I did. But I did'nt try yet. I have to fix my headers first and that I will can start the car and tell you if it's work.

Try it and give-me some news!

I will be doing this as well. S to S, L to L and
the G goes to..................B+.

HAHA they got you all mixed up. I checked the wiring diagrams for the 95 millenia (it comes with the 3 wire 110 amp alt) and the "G" goes to a switched battery voltage source.

This meens that it only gets the 12V's when the key it turned on.

the 2 wire alt is a mitsubishi and the 3 wire alt is a denso (I belive) and you CANT swap over any parts.

so the black wire marked "G" is a switched power wire........ what the hell were they smoking when they designed that??? Geez. LOL

Which KLZE's came with this 110amp alternator? My straight-neck ZE came with the exact same alternator as my mx3's stock k8

mine was a curved neck one and it had it, and I never bothered checking my last one, I just swapped it out without paying much attention.

Curt, you wouldn't happen to have that millenia wiring diagram online would you?

"Which KLZE's came with this 110amp alternator? My straight-neck ZE came with the exact same alternator as my mx3's stock k8
In north america 2.5L millenias in 94 and 95 came with it, and my ZE was a curved neck 95 engine. "

It may also come on later ZE millenias but Im not sure.

It only came on Millenias, this Im sure of.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMX3:
Curt, you wouldn't happen to have that millenia wiring diagram online would you?
I will try to get a copy of the diagrams printed off of a CD rom, or if I cant do that, I will trace it out of the book and scan it onto the net.

but in the diagrame the centre connector goes to a switched B+ power source, I cant remember which that is, but the other 2 wires go to the same place as they are labled on the other alt. (hope that made sense )

If I remeber, 1 wire goes through the "ATL" light on the dash, 1 wire goes to B+ constant, and the last wire is B+ switched.

anyway I will post the diagrammes tomorrow night.

Quote:
Originally posted by curtklze:
....but in the diagrame the centre connector goes to a switched B+ power source.....
Its the Engine Fuse 10A in the Millenia, so I guess that would be ok for the MX-3.

now I got it, the centre pin is IG not G, IG for IGnition power=switched power.

YAY

I tossed in my Millenia alt (from my ZE) and it pumped out 134 amps under load and 14.4 volts at idle Im happy now.

my K8 alt had a bad diode for the past 8 months and needed to be replaced.

just wired it up S to S, L to L and ran a switched 12V to IG (the center pin), works mint

I recomend this to every one, just get an alt off of a 95-96 (2.5L only) millenia, they should be filling up the wreckers by now.

!!!!!!! MAKE SURE YOU GET THE UPPER ALT BRACKET FROM THE MILLENIA ITS DIFFERENT THAN THE K8 ALT BRACKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more amps, bigger alt = less strain on the alt = longer life

November 10 2005, 4:32 PM
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]