Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 15 2019, 1:18 AM

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Autocross car setup 

Post Autocross car setup
I have a '92 Mazda MX-3 V6. Its pretty much 100% stock. I am wondering what a good set-up is for the car as far as tire pressure, camber/caster, toe-in, and other basic adjustable stuff to get the best handeling out of my car while still keeping it in stock class. I know it has a lot to do with driver preference but just basic areas to start with for the way the car is. Thanx in advance.

Cody

August 20 2007, 11:09 PM

I would keep it pretty much how it is setup from the factory. Stock toe is fine at 0, camber only has a slight adjustment and is at its most negative from the factory (usually). I would get an alignment, change as many of the suspension bushings as you can for newer ones to take the slop out. Drive it as much as you can b/c seat time makes the most improvement in your time. As for tires I would use Falken Azines. They seem to be the most sticky street tire you can get and stay in stock class. I use them and they work pretty well for me in auto-x. I'm in SM class though.

ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

August 21 2007, 11:28 AM

ok thanks for the help. But I thought tires didnt take you up a class so you could have racing tires if you wanted to?

August 21 2007, 6:31 PM

R tires will put you into modified class with most clubs IIRC. I found my stock mx-3 to be competitive at autoX but I was severely limited by tires. I plan to get some Azinis in the near future like patdiesel said.

I haven't tried racing with my ZX2 struts and H&R springs yet, but I imagine it will make a huge improvement.

I am also curious about optimal toe/camber settings since I will be getting an alignment in the next few days here. I heard that as little as an 1/8th of a degree can make a difference for toe.

August 22 2007, 1:53 AM

Toe in makes the car corner faster, toe out makes the car better at straight line performance. However, you drive the car everyday right? Why make it a bear to drive everyday for a once a month auto-x by adding toe in. You'll be steering all the way down the highway, no rest and constantly correcting the drifting car... I honestly doubt toe in will make a difference for someone with at least a couple years experience in auto-x.

ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

August 23 2007, 3:11 PM

You make a good point. No point in wearing out my tires for a couple hundredths of a second around the track anyway. I'll just get it allgned to stock specifications.

August 23 2007, 9:35 PM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]