Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 15 2020, 12:16 PM

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How-To: Digital Cluster 

Post How-To: Digital Cluster
Here we are guys. The year 2012. The year where technology rules everything and analog clusters are...well... outdated :P
So i've decided to make a simple how-to for you guys out there who want to swap a digital cluster in.
Test subject: Mercury villager digital cluster 1993(not really 2012 right? lol)
I'll take the parts I need from a 1992 V6 cluster

First off, remember that when you buy the cluster, be sure to take the 3 connectors that go on it or else you're going to have a hard time finding some as they are very rare.

First we'll start off by dissasembling the Mx-3 cluster and salvaging what we need. we'll need the black oval ring so be sure not to break it.
With the black oval off, you're to have to remove the leftover plastic that goes beyond the back to make it flush so we can glue on a plexi right on it.
As for tinting, you can use a blue fitler(which i havent found yet) then a limo glass tint.
Then on the white housing. we'll only be using the connector holes so we can actually plug and play the cluster once it's completed. Now on the digital cluster housing, Youre going to have to remove everything in it and start drilling holes to put the connector holes. Try to be as close as possible as you can to place the connectors because you dont want them hitting anything when you put the cluster back in the dash.
once you're sure about the location, put back the first piece of the digital board and make sure nothing hits anything.
now on the digital cluster housing, we're going to cut everything we can that will get in the way
you can cut where the black hoels are and the red holes will be welcoming the positiong bracket that holds the cluster in place.
for the warning lights you have to cut the lower corners and make sure you cut the same rectangles as in the previous picture to clear the bracket holes. then just put 1 screw on each side. you might ahve to cut through the black oval so you clear the two screws you just put in. and to hold the new plexi glass, 4 screw should do the job.
This is it for my quick modding tutorial for the housing. will go to electrical now.

March 06 2012, 9:54 PM

Post Re: How-To: Digital Cluster
Now on with the electrical stuff.
First, we'll be cutting te tracing that goes in the conenctor holes of the mx-3 cluster. then we'll pierce holes on all of them that are needed.
Once this is done, hot glue the back and solder the front to make sure contact is made properly then hot glue on top of it to make sure that you dont get short circuits.
then you can just glue the new tracings into the connector holes. this way your digital cluster will be plug and play.
Now, to make this easy, I've put up three pictures that you will understand properly(hopefully)
Well, this is it.
FinaL result looks like that
Pleases be sure to check your connections before plugging it in!!
Double check if you have to. There is a cluster diagram on mx-3.com and for the villager please go here
http://www.xtremethings.com/Engineering ... luster.pdf

And many thanks to xtremethings for showing me it was possible!

PS. if you're having any trouble reading my how-to, please tell me in pm or if you have any suggestions to add.

There will be a small follow=up for the fuel sender. Indeed, you need the mercury villager or nissan quest fuel sender for your fuel gauge to work properly. This can be done quite easely

Last edited by wertys on March 08 2012, 6:18 PM, edited 3 times in total.

March 06 2012, 9:55 PM

great, but where's the finished result??? the best part of every diy is where everyone oohs and ahhs

March 08 2012, 12:15 PM

Thanks and done.

March 08 2012, 3:44 PM
Supporting Member

Well DONE!!!

Someone STICKY this HOW TO please!

05' MS RX-8 - Parted out and Sold :'(
Feedback - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49519
Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-MX-3-Owners-Enthusiast/137983472959216

March 08 2012, 5:17 PM
Profile WWW

Really a good job and good how-to !!

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

March 09 2012, 12:08 PM
Profile WWW

hey i just got this mod installed but wiothout the plug'n'play set up. i just cut and connected the villager clips into place.
but to whats the right up to get the fuel gauge to work correctly?
and when you install the tint did you put it on the inside or outside of the plexi glass?

thanks, cheers.

December 06 2013, 12:42 AM

inside plexi and as for the fuel gauge, you have to get a villager fuel sender

December 06 2013, 8:28 PM

Anyone know if this will show "Check Engine" light when the car is first powered on?
That's a requirement for Ontario's E-tests... and can I assume it doesn't show the Check Engine light when there is a problem?

June 02 2014, 2:52 PM

CEL works normally as all the wiring is original, only the connections in the cluster change. So every light works normally as they should.

June 05 2014, 7:36 AM

I want to put this cluster in my Xterra :)

It's the same series motor as my truck since the Villager is just a rebadged Nissan Quest!

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

June 05 2014, 10:24 AM
Profile ICQ WWW

exactly xD

June 05 2014, 10:28 PM

has anyone tried doing this mod?? I'd like reviews!

June 29 2014, 7:55 PM
Supporting Member

I'm entertaining the possibility of it, honestly!

The only thing holding me back, is that I really can't dig into other projects while I am still trying to get my MX-3 back on the road. Spread myself a little thin last year, with the projects, and it really slowed things down...

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

June 30 2014, 10:20 PM

you can always do it on rainy days with a spare cluster :-)

July 01 2014, 1:01 PM
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next